“Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.” – Yoda
So, I finally saw the new Star Wars. I’m going to see it again. I’m trying not to put spoilers in here, but if you haven’t seen the movie yet (who hasn’t?), then don’t keep reading. For those of you who had any doubt about my level of geek/nerd… well, allow me to introduce myself….
- I thought Daisy Ridley was perfect for the role. She’s a very pretty girl and has that “cute as a button” kind of look. I’m glad they didn’t push that.. in fact, pretty much everything they did with her went the opposite of “sexy”. Great decision.
- For the most part, good writing. Great mix of humor.
- John Boyega did a great job. Big fan.
- I love how the movie looked. It looks like Star Wars. Episodes I, II and III? Those don’t look like Star Wars.
- Political intrigue? None. Thank God.
Overall? I’m incredibly disappointed. It could have been so much better. Granted, it’s not Jar-Jar/Ewoks bad, but it’s not great.
- This movie has so many plot holes, it’s ridiculous. Deus Ex Machina much?
- Harrison Ford did a pretty poor job – I don’t think he really cared.
- Carrie Fisher has had so much plastic surgery, she can’t even move her face.
- Leia used to be a passionate leader and fighter. Now? Ugh. I swear, in every scene with Leia, I thought I was watching an old Western and she was the grizzled rancher giving out sage advice to the “young ‘uns”. All she needed was a six-shooter and a cowboy hat.
- Light sabers? Meh. Kylo Ren’s “rough fiery” blade… I guess he didn’t have a lot of help building it? Must have had a really poor quality crystal.
- Kylo Ren did something that Vader, Palpatine, Skywalker, Kenobi, Windu, etc. couldn’t do… but, pretty much sucks in every other way when it comes to using the Force. I sure hope this kid gets some training.
- I’m REALLY hoping that of the three people who used light sabers, one person in particular ends up being a Jedi, because otherwise that person has no business being able to go toe-to-toe with ANYONE who can use the Force.
- The whole premise for the bad guy weapon and base is absurd. Not to mention, could someone please explain to me how that planet has trees and how anyone could walk on the surface of that planet and survive?
- Apparently, Storm Troopers don’t need water to survive. Either that, or the TIE fighter crashed about 30 minutes outside of town.
- I sincerely hope the “epic” light saber battle was a demonstration of two people who had no training whatsoever. I mean, I know one of the people had no training… but the other?
- Kylo Ren had better become a total bad-ass. Because in this movie, he’s basically a weenie.
I think Story Group made a HUGE mistake throwing out all of the previous Canon, especially when it could have fit so perfectly into the new continuity. Luke’s history rebuilding the Jedi Order? Han and Leia’s relationship? Jacen Solo becoming Darth Caedus? I’d LOVE to see a movie with the Yuuzhan Vong!
I’ll watch whatever Disney puts out, of course. But, in my mind, this is an alternate continuity.
The original canon was better.